American Foundation for Donation
Histocompatibility Specialist Course
The curricilum is designed for senior technologists and new
laboratory directors involved in the day to day management and development of the
histocompatibility laboratory. Applicants should have a background in immunology,
immunogenetics and histocompatibility.
Program objective is to establish a structured curriculum leading to:
- Raising the standards of practise in clinical histocompatibility testing.
- Providing a fundamental educational program leading to ABHI Histocompatibility Specialist
- Promoting excellence in clinical laboratory medicine.
Each student will receive a comprehensive course syllabus containing:
- Lecture summaries.
- References and bibliography.
- Procedures with applications.
Course presentation will be in didactic and interactive discussion format.
The curriculum focus is on histocompatibility testing:
- Theory and principle.
Tecgnologist in Histocompatibilty Testing, with a minimum of 3 years working
experience and/or a formal course in immunology or genetics. Or applicant must be a new
- Active ASHI membership is recommended.
- Pre-requisite reading completed.
- Basic genetics and genetics of MHC.
- Immunology of the MHC.
- Solid Organ Transplantation.
- Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- Platelet Immunology.
- Statistics in clinical and laboratory practice.
- Rejection mechanisms.
- Serologic assays.
- Antibody screening and evaluation.
- Flow cytometry, crossmatching and antibody screening.
- DNA methodologies and new techniques.
- ELISA based technology.
- Soluble antigen assay.
- Quality assurance.
- Biohazards and safety.
- Cellular assays and immune response.
- Laboratory management.
- Population genetics.
- Automation and computerization.
- Regulatory agencies and transplantation.
- Reimbursement issues.
- Standards - ASHI, UNOS, CLIA and CMS.
- Laboratory inspections.
AFDT currently has available both the Tissue
Typing Reference Manual and the DNA Typing Technical Manual.
If you do not believe that you are on the mailing list for the specialist course please email us your address at email@example.com.
Should you have questions, contact AMFDT at (804) 323-9890 or (804) 323-1300 FAX or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact
the Organizing Committee Chair.
Jean Heneghan, MS, CHS
The course will have a limited number of registrants. Early registration
is highly recommended, details to come.
Registration fee includes continental breakfast, breaks and lunch daily as well as
Hotel, transportation and other arrangements/costs are the student's responsibility.
The official language for the course is English.
The course is ABHI certified.
Please contact Arlene Skinner for additional information.